The long story....
So while I was shaping the neck for the left front of the coat, I noticed that I was two stitches short. Huh? How did that happen? Uh...
Seems I neglected to put two stitches back on the needle when I had to rip back eleventy-thousand stitches ago. Crap. I had to decide then and there -- do I want this to be perfect, or do I want to get my freaking gold medal? Tough call. If I wasn't under a time constraint I'd have totally frogged back to fix it. But I knew that if I did, there was no way I would finish. I'd be demoralized, and in turn it would sit in a bin for a few months before I could stand to look at it again. So I chose to forge ahead.
As I was knitting the buttonhole band (I still had to knit the collar after that), I had a realization -- I looked up at my husband and said, "holy crap, there is no way, I am totally going to run out of yarn." I wasn't on the edge of tears (yet) but it was the most depressing feeling...but still I kept at it, thinking that if I came close enough I could felt together all of the dregs I was accumulating and maybe, just maybe, I could make it. We were praying for a knitting miracle. And lo and behold....
Multiplication of the yarn, I swear. That's what was left.
The boring stuff:
Out to Play Coat from Louisa Harding's Miss Bea's Rainy Day
Knit in Nashua Handknits Creative Focus (75% wool, 25% alpaca) color: Aubergine; on US6 and US8 needles.
Pattern modified to replace the cable pattern 'cause I didn't particularly care for the one called for. Also, I knit the sleeves in the round instead of flat.