hey julie...

Tuesday, October 31, 2006

FO #100

Finally!!



The boring stuff...
Fabulous Lace Inset Cardigan, knit in Bartlett Yarns Fisherman Bulky (Garnet, 5 skeins) on US10.5 and US11 needles.
Pattern modifications and comments:
Charts are my friend. First I charted the lace pattern so I wouldn't have to work from written row-by-row instructions. Then I created a chart that mirrored the lace pattern, because it didn't seem right to have two identical lace panels opposite each other. So I used the mirror chart for the left front, and used it side by side with the regular chart for the collar and sleeves where two panels of the lace pattern were worked simultaneously.

The finishing instructions were very vague -- good thing I knew to block all the pieces very, very carefully before sewing any of them together, because it would have been a freaking nightmare otherwise. I actually had to block a few pieces more than once. I took 6 rows out of the bell portion of the sleeve because I just knew they would be too long. I wish I'd trusted the same intuition and added 6 rows (or more) to the body...but all in all the length is okay. It hits at my waist which would be great except the mock waist seam thingy looks a little out of place a few inches above my waist.



All in all, I like it, but I'm not GAH over it. The yarn is a bit itchy. I have to be careful what I wear under it so it doesn't look strange peeking out at the bottom. But it's a pretty sweater. If it were three inches longer I'd love it.

11 Comments:

Blogger earthchick said...

Gorgeous! And it looks great on you. I am so with you on the extra inches on the body thing, though. Still deciding whether or not I'm going to try to add some length.

What a perfect FO #100.

2:33 PM  
Blogger vickthompson said...

I love that! I need to add that to my list...but I would have to add some lenght. I usually end up adding a little length to my sweaters...even as short as I am. After three kids I don't want ANYONE catching even a little glimpse of this belly! It looks great on you!

3:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very cute! I love all the details - the back, the lace panels, the huge collar. Good job!!!

4:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a beautiful cardi! It fits you very well. I like the symmetry(sp?) you put in the lace panels. You are an inspiration for me to try something with more complexity.

9:21 PM  
Blogger Hooch can knit said...

Wow- I'm impressed- its beautiful- I love the bell sleeves- I can see what you mean about the length, but I still think it looks great!

10:26 PM  
Blogger Becka said...

Julie, it's gorgeous! WTG, it's #100, too!
I remember that Stacey wasn't happy with the length, either. It does look great on both of you!
If you are in need of a bit of humor, join us in the contest on my blog! I'm announcing the other prize next week!

10:41 AM  
Blogger Abigale said...

It is beautiful... I'm wondering if maybe resoaking it (this time with some conditioner in the final rinse, you know for the itch factor) and re-blocking it,really aggressively for the length factor might help?

I know it's a PITA - but the sweater is so beautiful - it would be a shame to have it sit unused because you're not 100% happy with the fit.

1:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very cute! I'm so jealous. You do beautiful work.

Question for you. Do you happen to know what the yarn is in the header of your blog? It is SOOOO pretty & yummy looking! LOVE IT!

Again, great FO #100!

Kim in WI

10:57 AM  
Blogger Jodi said...

So. . . you stoppin at 100???

9:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cool! I am almost finished with mine. Did you have the right number at the end of the sleeves? Somehow I had a lot more than 6 to bind off at the end of the sleeve but the shape of it does look ok.

3:35 PM  
Blogger Julie said...

Cheryl, it's all a blur, but I do remember that on the first sleeve I got messed up and didn't have the right number of stitches at the end so I ripped back and somehow ended up with the 6 that were called for. The second time I got it on the first try. ;)

3:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

I've been knitting since 01/05, spinning since 07/06. Mmmmm, yarn.

Amber
Cheryl
Hooch
Julie
Li, eh?
Mer
Rebecca
Sara Jayne
Vicki
Wendie

KCR+ Exp+ SPM+ Steel+ Bam+ Addi++ Pl-- Den Wool++ Cot Lux+ Stash+ Scale+ Fin !Ent Int FI> Tex Lace Felt Flat Circ+ Dpn- ML+ Swatch+ KIP+ Blog+ SNB> EZ FO+ WIP3 Gauge W+ Alt Sp Sw

Powered by Blogger

Basic Earflap Hat
Cabled Baby Hats
Lace-Edged Women's Hat

I'm also knitting
I'm learning
it's here!
Monday, Monday
Basic Earflap Hat -- corrected!!!
I knit! I spin!
FO #99
I think she likes them...
nothing to see here
the stalking begins