hey julie...

Thursday, October 26, 2006

I'm learning

I knew it -- I knew before the wheel came that I'd have to take a few steps backward. It's only natural. My first wee skein came out pretty decent, but like a dork I was a bit overconfident going into the second. It's pretty and all:

hooch4

But it's kind of dense. Well, more than kind of. I sought some advice on the Pixie boards and the input I received made total sense -- I need to slow down. In the beginning, slower is better. Even if that means that for a few weeks my spindle production is faster than my wheel production.

So I took a deep breath, slowed down, and spun another wee skein that was pretty decent. Sorry, no picture, because the colors are pretty meh. Dyeing accident. I do have a picture of this one though:

silk1

Mmmmm, tussah silk. I got brave and decided to see how fine I could spin it. And I just have to say, I can see myself spinning a bit of fingering weight, but I cannot fathom 2-ply laceweight. I finished this and thought, "wow, that's very very very fine! Maybe it's laceweight!!" Wrong...22 wpi. Sure, you can find a *few* charts that categorize it as laceweight, but it's pretty much fingering. And that's okay.

silk2

I'm trying to get up the courage to start spinning thank-you yarn on the wheel. But I want it to be as nice as the spindle stuff I've been sending out...so maybe this weekend. I think I need a bit more practice.

3 Comments:

Blogger earthchick said...

Great job, Julie! It all looks yummy to me!

2:27 PM  
Blogger vickthompson said...

Looks good to me!

2:45 PM  
Blogger Hooch can knit said...

Feel free to practice on me all you want ;-)

I think its all very cool. you rock.

7:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

I've been knitting since 01/05, spinning since 07/06. Mmmmm, yarn.

Amber
Cheryl
Hooch
Julie
Li, eh?
Mer
Rebecca
Sara Jayne
Vicki
Wendie

KCR+ Exp+ SPM+ Steel+ Bam+ Addi++ Pl-- Den Wool++ Cot Lux+ Stash+ Scale+ Fin !Ent Int FI> Tex Lace Felt Flat Circ+ Dpn- ML+ Swatch+ KIP+ Blog+ SNB> EZ FO+ WIP3 Gauge W+ Alt Sp Sw

Powered by Blogger

Basic Earflap Hat
Cabled Baby Hats
Lace-Edged Women's Hat

it's here!
Monday, Monday
Basic Earflap Hat -- corrected!!!
I knit! I spin!
FO #99
I think she likes them...
nothing to see here
the stalking begins
spinny SP, how I love thee
death by Express Mail