hey julie...

Monday, October 16, 2006

I knit! I spin!

And yes, my hands do sort of feel like they are going to fall off.



In progress: mittens for kiddo #1...using WOTA that she helped me dye. I fear they'll be too big, so I haven't woven anything in yet. No thumbs yet because I need to try them on her, and I hate teeny diameter circ knitting with DPNS with the passion of then thousand white hot suns. I will finish them soon, though, because as previously mentioned, it snowed here last week. And the drama of trying to find matching mittens that fit and don't have irritating tags in them, as we are rushing out the door, is wearing me out.

In other news, I just completed some bona fide sock yarn!



That's 18wpi, for those of you without superheroish vision. Depending on what chart you look at, fingering weight. It has its *cough* charms, but it's sproingy and soft, and I would so knit with it, if it were mine.

That's been the big *a-ha* around here lately: more and more, I'm really digging the yarn that I'm spinning. Not that I disliked it before, but I'm increasingly feeling like, hey, I would totally pay money for this yarn. I really like it. Woo!

No wheel yet. Suppressed rant over there.

7 Comments:

Blogger Becka said...

Loving the mittens, so hope they fit! LOL, not a fan of dpns?! Where are your 2 circs for this?! I'm afraid I grab 2 circs these days, I've got dust on the dpns!
That is good looking sock yarn!

10:30 AM  
Blogger Julie said...

Aww, Becka, that means a lot coming from you! :)

I detest DPNs, but I don't have two US10 circs at my disposal at the moment. ;) So, DPNs it was. In general, they're nice ones (Brittany) but I just don't enjoy using them.

10:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The mittens look so comfy. I sometimes wish I lived somewhere cold, so I could have a use for such things. But visiting cold is often good enough!

Your spinning is amazing. I can't wait to see what you can do with the wheel!

11:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The mittens are beautiful! I love the colors!

Funny, I LOVE teeny diameter knitting w/dpns! Although maybe it wouldn't be so fun on size 10s. Loved making the fingers on my Knucks though.

That sock yarn is gorgeous!!! You are amazing!

2:35 PM  
Blogger vickthompson said...

Great sock yarn! What a pro! I have yet to truly produce sock yarn. Although I can't say I have spent nearly as much time spinning as you have.

4:43 PM  
Blogger Abigale said...

Beautimous sock yarn! Is that perchance from the Spunky Eclectic roving that you got from your spinny SP? Just a guess.

It doesn't really get cold enough here in CA to need mittens - but the ones you're making look good enough to wear anyway! I sure hope the little one doesn't lose one of them too quickly!

3:20 PM  
Blogger Julie said...

Yup Abi, it's the Spunky roving...it was a blast to spin!

7:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

I've been knitting since 01/05, spinning since 07/06. Mmmmm, yarn.

Amber
Cheryl
Hooch
Julie
Li, eh?
Mer
Rebecca
Sara Jayne
Vicki
Wendie

KCR+ Exp+ SPM+ Steel+ Bam+ Addi++ Pl-- Den Wool++ Cot Lux+ Stash+ Scale+ Fin !Ent Int FI> Tex Lace Felt Flat Circ+ Dpn- ML+ Swatch+ KIP+ Blog+ SNB> EZ FO+ WIP3 Gauge W+ Alt Sp Sw

Powered by Blogger

Basic Earflap Hat
Cabled Baby Hats
Lace-Edged Women's Hat

FO #99
I think she likes them...
nothing to see here
the stalking begins
spinny SP, how I love thee
death by Express Mail
moving right along
Wheel update
dumb or clever?
from start to finish