hey julie...

Monday, May 29, 2006

Dr. Frankenstein's Lucy-esque bag

Sooo....I decided to try and um, alter the bag. I bought another skein of the Malabrigo, cast on 88 stitches and knit around until I was almost out, then decreased every other row. 'Til I had what looked like a ginormous hat. (LOL)



Did I mention before that I knit this bag from the top down?? I actually knit the straps first, using a provisional cast on, and incoporated them into the casting on of the top of the bag. If that makes any sense. Then I just kept knitting until I had what appeared to be enough yarn left for the decreases. (All that to avoid starting out on DPNs.) I really liked doing it that way and I'd do it again.

Soooo....I felted my monster hat, then lopped off the bottom of the wee bag and sewed the new, longer bag body to the bottom of it. Then I felted the whole thing one more time. The stitches where I joined the two are still somewhat visible, so I think I'm going to try to clean it up with a little needle felting. If that doesn't do the trick, I'll embellish it with a little bit of trim or some felted leafy-viney-Nicky-Epstein inspired decorative mumbo-jumbo..



In any case, I'm glad I did it, wonky as it is. My husband said, "that's an expensive little bag." Which it was, especially considering that I haven't carried a purse since I was in high school. But my recent gadget acquisitions are makig me rethink my position...that, and the fact that it's nice to have a sock-in-progress with me at all times. ;)

4 Comments:

Blogger Julie R. said...

Wow, Julie!! Great fix! It looks like was knit all together. You're a wizard!

9:38 AM  
Blogger Meredith said...

Hey, that worked out very well! I'm impressed.

10:32 AM  
Blogger essjay said...

I'm glad it worked out for you Julie - that must have been a hard decision, but it does look wonderful!

11:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very nice, Julie!!!!!!!

8:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

I've been knitting since 01/05, spinning since 07/06. Mmmmm, yarn.

Amber
Cheryl
Hooch
Julie
Li, eh?
Mer
Rebecca
Sara Jayne
Vicki
Wendie

KCR+ Exp+ SPM+ Steel+ Bam+ Addi++ Pl-- Den Wool++ Cot Lux+ Stash+ Scale+ Fin !Ent Int FI> Tex Lace Felt Flat Circ+ Dpn- ML+ Swatch+ KIP+ Blog+ SNB> EZ FO+ WIP3 Gauge W+ Alt Sp Sw

Powered by Blogger

Basic Earflap Hat
Cabled Baby Hats
Lace-Edged Women's Hat

so about that Malabrigo...
odds & ends
FO #90
FO #89
FO #88
So there's this eBay thing...
New Media Mavericks
recycling:
Boot-Up Blend
coffee adventures