hey julie...

Saturday, May 27, 2006

so about that Malabrigo...

This post is dedicated to Jenn, who, when I recently chastised her for not swatching, said to me, "where's your sense of adventure?"

You know, that Malabrigo I just posted about? My Mother's Day Malabrigo?

Ahhhh, the colorway. When I was winding it, I fell in love all over again. It really is so stunning -- I can't put it into words. Holy crap. I took pictures, but they don't do it justice. Gah. Love.



So I decided that I must have a Lucy Bag (or a Lucy-esque bag, as I can never find the Lucy Bag pattern at any LYS I visit, and I want to pay with PayPal if I buy it online, but online vendors who sell this particular pattern AND accept PayPal seem to a) charge $2 more for the pattern or b) require you to call them on the phone during business hours. But I digress.) I haunted blogs of those who have knit Lucy bags to observe the bag in it's pre-felted form and even found a knock off pattern (which actually made me quite mad, as it's a copyrighted pattern, and duh, a pretty well-known one. That would be like me putting the freakign Fiber Trends clog pattern on my web site and calling it my own...so not cool.)

Anyhooo...I thought that surely, until the day comes when I can actually purchase the pattern, I could probably wing it. Andrea swears that her li'l Lucy (whch totally kicks, it's the coooolest little bag) only required one skein of Malabrigo, so I think I can pull it off. The knitting is pure joy. Seriously, the monotony is offset by the absolute gorgeousness of the yarn, and I considered never knitting with anything else, ever again.



When I finished (less than 24 hours, go me) I admit I did have some doubts -- like perhaps the bag might be very very short -- but I threw caution to the wind and chucked it in the washer anyway. While it was felting, I rummaged around and found a photo of Andrea's pre-felted Lucy.

Uh oh.

Um, yeah, I should have listened to that little voice that said, "remember, your bags always seem to end up one third of their knitted height after felting...."



So the question remains: what should I do? Cut it up and make a felted something-else? Or get another skein (they do have one, I called) and cut off the existing bag before the decreases, knit a new bottom that's much longer, felt it, then sew the two together? Cut off the straps and wear it as a beanie? Anyone?

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dude. Adventure is for pre-felting only. You need to be able to frog if things don't work out. (My soaker worked out just fine, btw.)

I say cut it up and make something out of it. I just read this book... Fabulous Felt? Something like that. They showed stuff like felting a sweater, cutting squares out of it, and making a patchwork pillow out of them. Or a journal cover. Or a little coin purse. Or coasters or Christmas tree ornaments or an oven mitt... sky's the limit, baby!

(When I finally start a knitting blog, I'm dedicating the entire freaking thing to you. Heh.)

10:11 AM  
Blogger Meredith said...

Maybe give it to one of your kiddos? They probably wouldn't care about the shape, right? :)

11:44 AM  
Blogger essjay said...

I'm sorry that it didn't work out :( I just bought the pattern because I can't wing things. I hope that you are able to figure something out - just be sure the replace that Malabrigo! :)

12:14 PM  
Blogger Jodi said...

Sadness sis! So, if you reattempt - will you need 2 skeins of that yarn? It would be a cute little bohemian purse (cut in squares or a big long rectangle and sewn up the sides with a little flap).

8:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Julie! That's the same colorway as mine!! Woohoo!! Is the bag itself teeny tiny? Maybe you cut the straps and reattach somehow if the bag is big enough to actually hold something bigger than a lipstick? On a happier note, the color??? Isn't it divine? Definitely my favorite color!!

12:41 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

could you cut off the straps and make it into a bowl? You might have to wet it down again in order to give it shape, but it is doable.

My LYS has the Lucy bag and I've made on and am working on my second. You might try contacting them to see if you could purchase it. http://www.ebirdsofafeather.com/ is their website. Their phone is 440-934-2374. I think I paid $5 for the pattern.

I can also understand why you though you could wing it. But trust me when I say the silly thing is HUGE before felting . . . like 120 rows HUGE. And the handles are really very cooly done. Definitely need the pattern.

11:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

I've been knitting since 01/05, spinning since 07/06. Mmmmm, yarn.

Amber
Cheryl
Hooch
Julie
Li, eh?
Mer
Rebecca
Sara Jayne
Vicki
Wendie

KCR+ Exp+ SPM+ Steel+ Bam+ Addi++ Pl-- Den Wool++ Cot Lux+ Stash+ Scale+ Fin !Ent Int FI> Tex Lace Felt Flat Circ+ Dpn- ML+ Swatch+ KIP+ Blog+ SNB> EZ FO+ WIP3 Gauge W+ Alt Sp Sw

Powered by Blogger

Basic Earflap Hat
Cabled Baby Hats
Lace-Edged Women's Hat

odds & ends
FO #90
FO #89
FO #88
So there's this eBay thing...
New Media Mavericks
recycling:
Boot-Up Blend
coffee adventures
more dyeing