hey julie...

Sunday, March 12, 2006

how not to wind a skein

So, my five-year-old came up to me on Saturday afternoon and declared that she wanted to "make some yarn." I got to work winding and mixing dyes and whatnot, foolishly hoping that we could get it all done before her sister woke up -- surprise, it was not to be. So I had a yarn-dyeing adventure with two small children on my hands. They actually did quite well -- thank God for small favors, it was 60 degrees so we dyed in the back yard.

So the yarn was dry this morning, and I first wound it (from its drying state, a loop four feet in diameter) around my arm. Big mistake. Way to small. So I put it back on my arm and wound it around a chair.



Can anyone see what's wrong with this picture? Doh! Yup, you guessed it, the top of the chair back is wider than the bottom. So I wound it but could not get it off. The third time was a charm -- the old wind-it-around-a-Priority-Mail-Box method.

If I do say so myself, my daughter is a great color-picker:



I dyed a green skein too, but I've had enough winding for one day.

In other news, I made a sock today.



Hmmm...those colors look familiar. Like *our* yarn, but with the questionable inclusion of a lot of black. (What were they thinking??)

6 Comments:

Blogger Knittinreed said...

Great colors. And now your daughter has been indoctrinated into the wonderful world of dying yarn. Like the socks - even the black in them.

11:24 AM  
Blogger Meredith said...

She does have a great eye for color!

1:50 PM  
Blogger vickthompson said...

Those are great colors.

5:06 PM  
Blogger schrodinger said...

I saw that picture and it took a second or two before I realised - oops! Glad you got it sorted out though, the colors look great, excellent choices by your DD.

5:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love those colors -- your daughter has great taste!

8:54 AM  
Blogger Hooch can knit said...

The yarn looks good either way= and the sock!

2:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

I've been knitting since 01/05, spinning since 07/06. Mmmmm, yarn.

Amber
Cheryl
Hooch
Julie
Li, eh?
Mer
Rebecca
Sara Jayne
Vicki
Wendie

KCR+ Exp+ SPM+ Steel+ Bam+ Addi++ Pl-- Den Wool++ Cot Lux+ Stash+ Scale+ Fin !Ent Int FI> Tex Lace Felt Flat Circ+ Dpn- ML+ Swatch+ KIP+ Blog+ SNB> EZ FO+ WIP3 Gauge W+ Alt Sp Sw

Powered by Blogger

Basic Earflap Hat
Cabled Baby Hats
Lace-Edged Women's Hat

top 2%
FO #78
what should have been FO #78
FO #77
It's up!
must. stop. playing.
woo!
FO #76
KO, day 17 -- the short story
KO, day 17/FO #75