1. Are you a yarn snob (do you prefer higher quality and/or natural fibers)? Do you avoid Red Heart and Lion Brand? I absolutely prefer natural fibers -- so if that makes me a yarn snob, so be it. Doesn't have to be pricey, though -- Knitpicks occupies a large place in my stash. But all the Uruguayan merino is threatening to take over. (Nooooo RH, I've paid my dues. Lion? The occasional Woolease item.)
2. Do you spin? Crochet? Nope. I'd like to spin someday, but my hands (and my house) are full of knitting.
3. What do you use to store your needles/hooks in? For circs, I have one of those hang-on-the-wall things. It's wonderful functionally, but is very ugly. DPNs & other paraphanelia is kept in a bin within arm's reach of my desk.
4. How long have you been knitting? Would you consider your skill level to be beginner, intermediate or advanced? I've been knitting a little over a year, and I'd say I'm intermediate. Little truly terrifies me any more, but I have small children so I don't usually attempt super-difficult stuff.
5. Do you have an Amazon or other online wish list? Yes, Amazon.
6. What's your favorite scent? (for candles, bath products etc.) Hmmm. Love Pearberry, love Shea Butter but it makes DH sneeze. (rolleyes) In general, light floral scents -- nothing too strong.
7. Do you have a sweet tooth? Favorite candy? I have such a sweet tooth. Right now I'm trying to stick with straight chocolate though (Dove or Trader Joe's), or any goodies without high fructose corn syrup in them. Going through a crunchy phase.
8. What other crafts or Do-It-Yourself things do you like to do? I'm a graphic designer so I gravitate towards paper crafts and photography. I also sew and do calligraphy, and I love to cook.
9. What kind of music do you like? Can your computer/stereo play MP3s? (if your buddy wants to make you a CD) We're all about music over here -- you get it to us, we can play it. I love all kinds but have a special fondness for "unplugged" recordings/compilations. Acoustic music is my fave.
10. What's your favorite color? Or--do you have a color family/season/palette you prefer? Any colors you just can't stand? Loooove greens, not too fond of yellows, oranges, & browns. I grew up in the 70s in a house where every single freaking room was brown and orange. For knitting I seem to gravitate towards blues, greens and purples.
11. What is your family situation? Do you have any pets? Married to my DH for -gulp- almost 11 years, two daughters (2 and 5). No pets, not now, not ever. (severe allergies)
12. Do you wear scarves, hats, mittens or ponchos? Scarves, occasionally; hats, if I could find one that didn't make me look goofy, I'd be all over it; mittens, yes; ponchos, no.
13. What is/are your favorite yarn/s to knit with? Malabrigo/handpaintedyarn.com. YUM. Rowan Cashsoft DK/DB Cashmerino. Manos Cotton Stria. Knitpicks Decadence, Merino Style, Alpaca Silk. I adore alpaca.
14. What fibers do you absolutely *not* like? Scratchy wool, kitchen cotton, most acrylics, anything furry/railroad/overtly novelty-looking. And I have no desire to ever knit with lace weight yarn.
15. What is/are your current knitting obsession/s? Definitely merino -- I do actually dream about Malabrigo on occasion. I just joined a yarn co-op and ordered more more more merino from Uruguay. I can't believe how soft and wonderful it is. Uh, and I've been knitting quite a few socks, too.
16. What is/are your favorite item/s to knit? I love making kids' stuff -- hats, sweaters, clogs, socks -- I rarely have the patience for adult-sized projects, though occasionally I'll take one on. I don't think you could pay me enough to knit an afghan, unless it was that cool little round one. (And that's not reeeally an afghan, now, is it?)
17. What are you knitting right now? I'm finishing up an earflap hat, the second of matching hats for my daughters, with yummy 6-ply bulky merino. Also on the needles: a toddler sweater I'm designing, Cozy (which makes me fall asleep so I never get far), a baby sock, and a Project of Which I Cannot Speak. Waiting in the wings: Merino Style for Tubey, which I'm knitting for my best friend.
18. Do you like to receive handmade gifts? Love 'em, as long as they're functional -- I don't do knick knacks.
19. Do you prefer straight or circular needles? circs, for everything -- I'm a lover of the two-circ method of small-diameter knitting, so I rarely use DPNs or straights for anything any more, except maybe swatching.
20. Bamboo, aluminum, plastic? Addis or bamboo.
21. Do you own a yarn winder and/or swift? Just ordered a winder...and I'm the proud creator of a ghetto swift, which I made with items found at my Goodwill store. It's kind of wonky, though, and I look forward to someday getting a real one.
22. How did you learn to knit? Amy Finlay taught me. :)
23. How old is your oldest UFO? Almost a year. A poncho I started for my older daughter after I finished her sister's...it's so freaking boring I can't stand it. And I feel the need to say that I didn't want to knit ponchos because they were "in," I wanted to knit them because when we were little, my sister and I had matching ponchos which we adored. I had no idea that ponchos were all the rage, and I wouldn't have cared either way. Just had to make sister ponchos for nostalgia's sake.
24. What is your favorite animated character or a favorite animal/bird? Hmmm. That's a tough one.
25. What is your favorite holiday? I love the season from Thanksgiving through Christmas.
26. Is there anything that you collect? Other than yarn? Nope. I'm trying hard not to collect things at this point. (Have I mentioned that I live in a very small house?)
27. What knitting magazine subscriptions do you have? None. Sigh.
28. Any books, yarns, needles or patterns out there you are dying to get your hands on? Oh yes, see #5, lol
29. Are there any new techniques you'd like to learn? I've been toying with taking a "Crochet for Knitters" type class -- I do have a CD with how-to-crochet videos but never seem to get around to watching it -- I'd rather be knitting. But I think it would be a great skill to have. I'm also excited to try my hand at dyeing. Wherever I go I'm always checking out the kool-aid selection.
30. Are you a sock knitter? What are your foot measurements? I never in a million years thought I would say this, but yes, I am a sock knitter. Shoe size 8.5, and foot length is just about 9.5".
31. When is your birthday? (mm/dd) 09/21